Monday, November 17, 2014

How is my bread made



Did you know, that we have flour mills still in NYS?

Champlain Valley is located Westport, NY

Farmers Ground is located in Trumansburg, NY http://farmergroundflour.squarespace.com/

Both offer a great variety of organic flours. Believe it or not, each company has their own distinctness about them, which adds to the flavors produced in my breads, or pastries. Yes, they both offer similarly items, after a couple of years of working with both, I found which flours I like from each.

Other then an occasional addition of "00" flour (which I buy imported, I know not local, but I have used this flour for many, many years in certain breads, I just can't part with it)I only use these two brands, for my traditional breads. I always source organic whenever available as well.  My gluten free, well that is not easy to source locally, but hey here's hoping someday!

So, on average each loaf of traditional bread, is 90% local. (allowing for oil, salts etc.) Pretty good right? My local is this, if the product offered is worth the drive anywhere here in NYS, its pretty much in my zone!

I do offer a leavened bread (sourdough) and breads with added yeast. I like to have access to both, and have found many customers do as well. After all, this local thing is also about making your own choice, knowing what is in the items you purchase, etc. My yeast added breads, do a slow rise in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours, which helps some with the fermentation and developing flavors.

As I am a home based baker, I have only standard kitchen equipment, which is why I only make a limited amount of breads for markets. No big ovens, or refrigerators. This does not mean I produce a lesser quality bread, for me, quite the contrary. Each batch of dough is hand made from beginning to end. This year, I made every batch by hand (didn't even use my standard kitchen aid mixer!!)Some of my recipes will produce anywhere from 4-8 loaves per batch, so pretty much more then my little mixer could handle! But even my leaven breads, that make two loaves, I do by hand. I found for this bread, it was even better for getting a nice clean slight sour taste (which is really highlighted when toasted)but more creamy and delicate. But did you know that a true leaven bread, in part pulls must of the "wild" yeast from your hands, so only makes sense to go old school. Plus it is such a great way to relieve stress! So this is why I only bring so many of each kind and often switch up the types I do bring. It is all about time management for me to get this done!

I have developed a similar way to make my GF bread, but I do use a mixer. Over the last year, off and on, I have experimented and found, that a slow cold fermentation also benefits the GF bread. I am constantly working on my GF line (although in the height of market season, I don't have as much time) to bring more flavors to those that are in need of GF items! 

When you purchase my bread or pastries you also support the following farms/small business (and this list is ever expending as I discover so many wonderful farms and small business we are lucky to have here in NYS):

Bouchard Farm II, Little Falls
Land of Milk and Honey, Little Falls
Fire Seed Farm, Dolgeville
Kids Market, Washington Mills
Valley Side Farm, Remsen
Gaurdi Farm, Richfield Springs
Rock Hill Farm, Mohawk
Peck Farm, Sprakers
Olivers Farm, Frankfort
Jones Family Farm, Herkimer
Three Village Cheese, Middleville
Saranac Brewery
Shaw Maple, Clinton
The Mustard Seed, Little Falls
Lune Chocolate, Manulis
Farmshed Food Hub, Syracuse
and soon, many local distilleries as I sample the goods coming out of this area!!



No comments:

Post a Comment